Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS)

SEAS adjusts your ATAR in recognition of circumstances that may have affected your education. This gives you a better chance of getting an offer for the course you want.

You’ll receive ATAR-related adjustments depending on the severity of your circumstances. The adjustments are made to your combined study scores and your ATAR is recalculated.

Monash uses this adjusted ATAR during the selection process.

This year, the "difficult circumstances" category will take into consideration the impacts of the COVID-19 crisis and the summer bushfires. Disadvantages to your education may include:

  • unreliable internet access
  • lack of suitable devices for online learning
  • lack of access to practical requirements for specific subjects
  • bushfire evacuations
  • school disruptions
  • property damage, etc.


You must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or hold an Australian permanent resident or hold one of the following visas:

  • Permanent Humanitarian visa
  • Temporary Protection visa
  • Bridging visa A or E
  • Safe Haven Enterprise visa

You must also satisfy requirements for at least one of the following SEAS categories:

SEAS category Criteria
Mature age Aged 21 years or older on 1 January 2022
Indigenous Australian Identify as an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
Residential and school location

If you live in a low socio-economic area, you may receive consideration based on your home address provided in your VTAC application. Further consideration will be given if you attended a school in a regional or remote area based on the Australian Standard Classification (ASGC) Remoteness Areas classification. (If you attended a Monash list under-represented school you may be eligible for the Monash Guarantee.)

Non-English speaking background Born outside Australia in a non-English speaking country and arrived in Australia in the last six years (after 1 January 2016)
Difficult personal circumstances

Circumstances affecting your senior secondary schooling, such as:

  • being a refugee or asylum seeker
  • long-term serious illness or death of a family member
  • abusive living environment: physical, psychological or emotional abuse over extended period
  • experiencing out of home care
  • natural disaster such as drought, bushfire or flood.
Disadvantaged financial background

Disadvantaged financial circumstances (low income) or excessive financial obligations, demonstrated by any of the following:

  • you or your family receive an income-tested Centrelink benefit (e.g. Youth Allowance, Abstudy, Health Care Card or Family Tax Benefit A)
  • you or your family are facing financial hardship or excessive financial obligation but do not receive a Centrelink benefit (e.g. living on a farm suffering from drought or floods).
Disability or medical condition A disability, impairment or medical condition that has affected your studies, leading to disadvantage in your preparation for tertiary study

How is my ATAR adjusted?

Your ATAR will be adjusted to reflect the circumstances that have affected your education. Our SEAS calculator will give you an estimate of your SEAS-adjusted ATAR.

How do I apply?

Apply for SEAS through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) before the closing date. For more information, see the VTAC website.

If you are applying midyear or the circumstances affecting you occur after the closing date, you can make an application directly to Monash by submitting a Monash University Special Access Scheme form (pdf, 0.1 mb).

In some cases you will need to provide evidence or documents to support your application:

SEAS category Supporting documents required
  • Mature age
  • Indigenous Australian
  • Residential and school location
  • Non-English speaking background
No supporting documents are required. VTAC will use information from your application to assess your eligibility for these categories.
Difficult personal circumstances
  • An impact statement outlining your circumstances and how they have affected your preparation for tertiary study, and
  • A statement of support from someone with knowledge of your circumstances, such as a medical practitioner, lawyer, counsellor, teacher, religious or community leader
Disadvantaged financial background

If you receive a Centrelink benefit, provide one of the following:

  • Centrelink Reference Number (CRN), or
  • Customer Access Number (CAN), or
  • hard copy evidence of the benefit you receive.

If your parents/guardian receive a Centrelink benefit, you must provide a hard copy of their Centrelink statement listing your name and combined family income.

If you and/or your family don't receive a Centrelink benefit, provide:

  • an impact statement outlining how your financial circumstances have negatively affected your preparation for tertiary study, and
  • a statement of support from someone with knowledge of your financial circumstances, such as a lawyer, social worker, or accountant.
Disability or medical condition
  • An impact statement about the nature and time period of your condition, outlining how it has negatively affected your preparation for tertiary study, and
  • A statement of support from someone with knowledge of your condition such as a health professional or educational practitioner.