Probation and Suspension Policy
You will be assessed no less than semesterly, and within one or two weeks of the release of results in semester one and two, for continuance of your scholarship/bursary. If your performance falls below the required average, the procedures detailed below will be followed:
- If you applied for and was granted special consideration of appropriate severity, or if other extenuating circumstances apply and are recognised by the faculty, no action will be taken and you will receive your scholarship/bursary payment as per usual; otherwise
- You will be notified in writing by the CSU that your performance is under review and that you are on probation. Payment will be made to you whilst on probation.
- If you meet the required minimum average in the semester following being placed on probation, the probation status will be removed; or
- If you do not meet the required average in the semester following being placed on probation your scholarship/bursary will be suspended for the following semester. Payment will not be made to you whilst on suspension.
- If you meet the required minimum average in the semester you are suspended, your scholarship/bursary will be reinstated, however no retrospective scholarship/bursary payments will be made for the period of suspension;
- If you do not meet the required minimum average in the semester you are suspended, your scholarship/bursary will be cancelled and no further payments will be made.
- Steps 2 to 6 apply in all cases excepting where step 1 may apply in any given semester.
Assessment of Weighted Average Mark (WAM)
WAM will be used each semester to assess your academic performance for your eligibility to receive your scholarship payment. The WAM is an average of the percentage marks received for each unit of a course and has different weightings for different unit levels.
You will be assessed using your overall course WAM as generated via the student administration system.
If your overall course WAM falls below that required by your scholarship/bursary, your WAM will be reassessed for the most recent semester.
Students in receipt of one year scholarships or bursaries are required to maintain the specified WAM in the first semester they receive the scholarship in order to receive the payment in the following semester.