Commerce and Biomedical Science - B2021
Biomedical science is one of the most contemporary areas of medicine - think IVF, a cure for cancer, and new life-saving vaccines. This rapidly-growing industry requires people with the skills to commercialise biomedical research, or apply commercial knowledge and understanding in research environments.
Within this double degree course, you have the opportunity to develop the technical and research skills required in the biomedical fields, while also having a strong understanding of the realities of research as a commercial endeavour.
This course leads to two separate degrees:
- Bachelor of Commerce, and
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science.
You will gain all the benefits of each degree course and be fully equipped to pursue a career in either field separately or to combine the two in your chosen work. You can combine your majors to explore areas of interest or develop new ones in key areas. You could:
- Study Human Genetics and Actuarial Studies to look at the implications of genetic disease for health providers or insurance companies.
- Combine Immunology with Economics to gain an understanding of how disease impacts political, legal, social, cultural activities around the world.
- Use your marketing skills to promote medical research or health campaigns.
- Work in a business development role in international biomed companies to create new opportunities for research.
You will develop strong commercial skills that will enable to you manage an organisation or contribute to the commercial aspects of medical research, together with strong technical skills to work across the field of biomedical science. You will also have the transferable skills that employers are looking for, such as communication, teamwork, research and critical thinking.