Education - D3001
At Monash, we develop teachers the world needs – passionate, innovative and ready to lead. This degree will set you up to inspire the next generation of young minds and pursue a career with purpose.
Breaking down this degree
In this degree, you’ll:
- Specialise in early childhood, primary or secondary education (or a combination of these)
- Earn an Honours degree, no matter what your specialisation is
- Have a range of opportunities to take on professional placements.
What you’ll be learning
This course is designed to meet the priorities and needs of modern teaching. Across all specialisations, you’ll learn how to become an innovative and effective educator – with the ability to bring out the best in young people from a diversity of backgrounds.
Led by some of the brightest educators in Australia, you’ll have opportunities to turn theory into practice with professional experiences in urban, rural and global locations such as China, the Cook Islands, Hong Kong, Italy, the UK and UAE. You can also build up your teamwork, public speaking and facilitation skills in our Student Ambassador Program.
Look ahead to an exciting career
There’s always a strong demand for excellent teachers across early childhood and school settings. Plus, an education degree is also a great launching pad for careers in youth and community education, community arts, publishing, government, and education services and management. You can also progress to further study and qualify with an advanced Master’s degree, which will boost your career options even further.
About registration and accreditation
Here’s what you need to know:
- You need to register with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) to teach in a Victorian school. This includes preschool and kindergarten.
- Check in with local teacher regulatory bodies about any extra requirements – whether you’re planning to work here or overseas.
- Specialisations in early childhood education are accredited by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA). This means you can work in licensed preschools and childcare centres in Victoria, and your qualifications are accepted in most other states and territories.
All primary and secondary education specialisations are accredited by the VIT using national accreditation standards. This means your qualifications will be accepted in Victoria and all other states and territories.
At a glance
|English||Maths||Sciences / Other|
|This course is equivalent to 4.25 years of full-time study and offered only in accelerated mode to complete in 4 years.|
|First Semester (February)|