William Cooper Indigenous Scholarship
Monash Leaders Scholarship
The William Cooper Indigenous Scholarships support high-achieving Indigenous Australian students with leadership potential to engage with their community and support other Indigenous students to access higher education.
This scholarship is generously funded by Gandel Philanthropy. The Gandel family have a close connection with Monash University – three generations have studied here.
3 Aug - 6 Nov 2020
Total scholarship value
Up to $62,500
Am I eligible?
You must be one of the following:
- An Australian citizen
You must meet the following criteria:
- An Indigenous Australian (with preference given to students who provide a Confirmation of Aboriginality form)
- A commencing student with an ATAR of 80+, or continuing student with a Weighted Average Mark of 65+
- Enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree at a Monash Campus in Australia
- Be selected to be a Monash Indigenous Student Leader
- To be eligible you must provide a Confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Heritage certificate or a certified Statutory Declaration form to the William Cooper Institute. This can be emailed to email@example.com. If you have any queries please contact the William Cooper Institute on 9902 4972.
Two scholarships are available each year, with each scholarship valued at up to $54,500:
- $6000 per year for the duration of the degree up to a maximum of four years
- Annual accommodation costs up to a value of $14,000 per annum for two years only. You must apply directly to Monash Residential Services (MRS) for on-campus accommodation.
- $2500 one off Monash Global Grant used from the second year of the degree (funded by Monash)
- An invitation to apply for a place in Monash Minds, a leadership program for first year students
Two scholarships available per year
- Based on academic achievement, educational disadvantage and leadership potential as demonstrated in the interview.
- Where possible, the panel will aim to award one scholarship to a male and one to a female applicant.
To retain this scholarship:
Recipients must maintain a full-time enrolment and must participate in the Indigenous Student Leaders Program.
How to apply
Every scholarship may have a different application process – or none at all. Read the application details carefully and submit your application by the deadline. For more details, visit our scholarships application page.