Monash University-China Scholarship Council (CSC) Joint Scholarship
This joint scholarship program seeks to attract high-quality Chinese students to undertake their PhD with Monash University. Long-term research co-operation between Monash and research-intensive Chinese universities is a significantly important aim of the program.
Closes 31 January each year
Total scholarship value
Varies - see benefits
Am I eligible?
You must be one of the following:
- An International student
You must meet the following criteria:
- intend to undertake research in one of the priority research areas;
- satisfy CSC's selection criteria;
- be under 35 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of the Peoples Republic of China (PRC) at the time of your application;
- return to the PRC upon completion of your PhD at Monash;
- meet Monash's competitive scholarship selection process requirements; and
- meet Monash's English language proficiency requirements.
If you are a current Monash PhD student, you are also welcome to apply for this program. Please contact your faculty Graduate Research office directly to indicate your interest.
The research priority areas for these scholarships are:
- Key areas of economic and social development as outlined in the National Medium and Long Term Development Plan 2010-2020, and
- Key areas in major projects, cutting-edge technologies, and foundations as outlined in the National Medium and Long Term Scientific and Technological Development Plan 2006-2020
Please note all CSC linked pages are in Chinese. You may wish to utilise the 'Translate this page' function within Google Chrome if you require an English translation.
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) will provide:
- an annual living allowance;
- Overseas Student Health Cover;
- return airfare between China and Melbourne; and
- visa application fees.
In addition, Monash University will provide (for up to a maximum of 4 years):
- a faculty full tuition fee sponsorship; and
- a supplementary (top up) living allowance up to the RTP Stipend rate to support students whilst in Australia.
Monash scholarships are very competitive and are awarded based on your academic record, any research outputs and prior research experience.
You may also like to famililarise yourself with CSC's selection criteria.
How to apply
As applications are due no later than 31 January, you should initiate your application to Monash as early as October. If successful, you will receive your offer from Monash (usually no later than 01 March), after which you may then submit your application for funding to CSC.
If you are a new applicant, you must have obtained an Expression of Interest (EOI) from the relevant faculty before starting your application.
Please ensure that you indicate that you are applying for the 'China Scholarship Council (CSC) Joint Scholarship' in your application.