MRS Indigenous Leadership Pathway Scholarship
A scholarship for Indigenous Australian and Torres Strait Islander students who show leadership potential who are intending to or currently live on campus at Monash Residential Services.
See how to apply
Total scholarship value
Up to $14000
1 per year
Moving from a rural area, I was afraid about the financial side of relocating to university, but since receiving this scholarship I have been given lots of support.
Being able to live in a warm, safe environment, I feel as though I have gotten the privilege to live the best university life I could imagine.
Without this scholarship, I would not have been able to fully focus on my studies and not achieved the things I have already done this year.
This scholarship has given me numerous opportunities, including being an ambassador with Monash Residential Services, as well as being able to frequently advocate for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people within my community.
I am forever grateful that I have received this scholarship and recommend that any indigenous student at Monash University should apply.
Am I eligible?
You must be one of the following:
- An Australian citizen
You must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled or intend to enrol full-time in an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at a Monash campus in Australia, and
- Of Indigenous Australian background
- Commencing or current resident at Monash Residential Services (MRS)
- You must apply directly to Monash Residential Services (MRS) for on-campus accommodation.
- To be eligible you must provide a Confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Heritage certificate or a certified Statutory Declaration form to the William Cooper Institute. This can be emailed to email@example.com. If you have any queries please contact the William Cooper Institute on 9902 4972.
- Up to $14,000 towards MRS fees for one year only. Applicable to accommodation costs incurred only when in residence and actively delivering leadership within the community.
- One scholarship available per year.
- Awarded on the basis of need to eligible applicant.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities which may include public speaking experience and experience holding office-bearer positions on committees and clubs.
- Evidence of significant active involvement within the Indigenous community.
- Capacity and willingness to act as an ambassador on behalf of Indigenous people at MRS events and activities throughout the year.
- Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend an interview.
To retain this scholarship:
- You must remain an MRS resident.
- You must participate in the Monash Residential Services Diversity and Inclusion meetings (at least 6 per year).
- You must maintain full-time enrolment and a pass average (50%).
- Not be in breach of any current Monash Residential Services Conditions of Residency.
How to apply
- Apply for the MRS Indigenous Leadership Pathway scholarship using this application form. Applications will be open from 1 December to 31 January.
- This scholarship cannot be deferred.
- You cannot hold this scholarship in conjunction with the Abstudy Residential Cost Option.
Every scholarship may have a different application process – or none at all. Read the application details carefully and submit your application by the deadline. For more details, visit our scholarships application page.