Use Panopto for Video assignments
Before you start
- Set up your Moodle Assignment to allow video submission by selecting Online text in the Submission types in the Assignment settings. For more information on how to set up an assignment, see the Assignments guide.
- Provide clear instructions to students on how to upload the video.
- Provide clear marking guidelines or a marking rubric.
- Inform students whether marks are allocated for the visuals. If not, let students know they will not be marked down for the quality of their video.
- Decide whether you want to allow student peer review, where students will be able to see and comment on each other's videos.
This guide will show you how to set up video assignments to allow students to submit a video, whether individually or in a group, and submit it to be assessed.
Set up the assignment folder in Panopto
- Navigate to your Panopto folder settings by clicking Unit settings in the Panopto block. The Panopto block should appear on the right hand side of your Moodle unit.
- In the Overview tab under Assignment Folder, you will see the unit assignment folder with the word [assignments] in brackets.
- If an assignment folder is not automatically created, you will need to create an assignment folder. Click Create an assignment folder.
- Your assignment folder is now set up to receive video assignments. You can retrieve students' submissions either via Moodle Assignment folder or Panopto Assignment folder.
- When you search for your folder in Panopto, you will be able to retrieve your assignment folder under your unit Panopto folder.
Enable student peer review
By default students cannot see each other's assignments. You will need to activate this option if you want students to view each other’s assignments to allow for peer review.
- Navigate to the assignment folder and click the settings icon in the top right hand corner.
- Check the 'Allow viewers to see each other's sessions' box, this will affect all videos in the folder.
Viewing students video submissions
You can either view the assignment submissions from the assignment grading interface or by navigating to the Panopto portal.
Creating video feedback for students
This guide will show you how to set up video feedback for assignments to allow students to view a personalised feedback video that you have created.